About Our Focus
We partner with the BC Schizophrenia Society of Prince George Branch as well as the Activity Centre for Empowerment to help support ALL families living with any type of mental illness including schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, depression and anxiety disorders. Our focus is on the health and well-being of the families and friends supporting loved ones with a mental illness and/or addiction.
We provide outreach services to the Omineca Region, including Burns Lake, Southside and Fraser Lake. Our territory includes Mackenzie, Fort St. James, Vanderhoof, Prince George, McBride, Quesnel and Valemount. Check out a map of our free services available for FAMILIES near your area.
Charter of Rights
FAMILIES have a right…
- To explicit information that families do not cause mental illness.
2. To basic information about diagnosis, treatment plan, options and prognosis.
3. To information about behaviour management, advice and guidance about resources in the community and the availability of peer support.
4. To education that can assist them in coping with mental illness.
5. To respect from professionals for the expertise of the family in the therapeutic process.
6. To become appropriately assertive and to overcome traditional socialization that teaches families not to question authority.
7. To be involved with their family member as a support system and resource.
8. To have a social ethic that is more concerned about the welfare of the person with mental illness than about cost effectiveness.
9. To a mandated role on governance or advisory boards and a clear voice in mental health planning and legislation that directly affects their lives.
10. To a non-adversarial legal system that is understanding of potential tragedy and helpful in attempts to prevent disaster from occurring.